Karren’s Famous Chili Recipe
I’ve been making this recipe all my life. It’s based on what was on the table in front of me as a child, and I’ve evolved it over the years to something I think you’ll love.
I don’t like wading through tons of blather before getting to a recipe on a blog, so we’ll just jump right in!
Chili, Karren’s Famous
- soup pot or Dutch oven
- 1 pound ground beef
- 2 tbsp olive oil optional
- 1 cup diced onions
- 2 tbsp finely diced garlic
- 2 cans crushed tomatoes 15-ounce cans
- 1 can tomato sauce 15-ounce can
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 cans red kidney beans 15-ounce cans; drained and rinsed
- 1 can black beans 15-ounce can, drained and rinsed
- 1 can pinto beans 15-ounce can, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups fresh or frozen corn kernels optional
- 2 cups diced potatoes optional
- Salt to taste
- 5 tbsp Iron Chicken Kitchen Chili Powder Blend
- 4 tbsp ground cumin
- optional: jalepenos in adobo sauce
- Brown the ground beef over medium heat in large Dutch oven or soup pot, breaking it into small pieces with a fork or meat chopper utensil. If necessary, add a couple of tablespoons of olive oil if the meat begins to stick to the pan. Stir in onions and cook until soft. Add garlic and cook about 3 minutes more.
- Add the crushed tomatoes, tomato sauce and tomato paste. Mix well.
- Add the beans, stirring well after each can.
- Add corn and potatoes, if using, and stir well to combine.
- Stir in salt to taste.
- Add chili powder and cumin, adjusting to taste. Chop and add jalepenos in adobo sauce to taste, if using.
- Cook over medium-low heat, stirring frequently, for about 40 minutes. The longer it cooks, the better it will taste.
- Top with shredded sharp cheddar cheese and serve hot with either Iron Chicken Kitchen Crispy Chicks Snack Crackers or Spent-Barley Crackers on the side.