How to Make Your Own Cake Flour
Before you start whipping up those cakes for your cookouts and holiday weekend/summer gatherings (finally!), check out this WAY CHEAPER, probably better, way to make your own cake flour.
Cake flour is all-purpose (AP) flour that contains a little bit of wheat or corn starch. It makes your cakes lighter and even more appealing. Here’s how to make your own for lots less money than buying specific cake flour:
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch 15g
- 1 cup minus 2 tablespoons all-purpose (AP) flour about 100g
- Place 2 tablespoons of corn starch in a 1-cup measure and fill it the rest of the way with AP flour.
- Repeat for as many cups of cake flour as you need for the recipe.
- Mix well and sift at least three times (five or six is even better) before using. The sifting is important! Do not skip this step!
- Use the cake flour just like it’s called for in your recipe.